To experience the flavors of Greece, what better than our simple Greek village salad, 'horiatiki salata.' It's a great fresh salad to make, and you can add your additional touches to create a nice variation if you like, but today I'm going to show you how to prepare this salad and "really" get it right. All you need are some fresh veggies, dressings, cheese, and you're ready to go!
Four ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
- One medium or half a large green capsicum sliced thinly
- One sliced cucumber
- Half a sliced red onion
- Kalamata olives – a generous helping
- 200g Dodona feta cheese (This is a great cheese to use for Greek salad).
- 60ml olive oil
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- Just a pinch dried Greek oregano
- Salt to taste
- Add the tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber and onions to a decent-sized bowl.
- Add the olives to the mix.
- Break up and add the Dodona feta cheese
- Sprinkle some dried Greek oregano over the salad- use a fair amount.
- Make a dressing using your olive oil, vinegar and salt and pour over the salad.
And there you have it. Remember, you may adjust your ingredients depending on the size of your serving.